Driver Eligibility

Q: How old do I need to be to participate?

Drivers with competitive karting experience in a recognized sanctioned race series (WKA, SKUSA, ASN Canadian Karting Championships, or similar), or have tested a F4, F1600/2000 or similar race car, and are 12 years old or older.

Drivers with no competitive karting or previous race car testing experience must be at least 16 years of age and possess a driver’s license from their state, province, or country of residence (provisional licenses are accepted, learner’s permits are not).

These requirements are general guidelines. Any exceptions to these requirements is at the sole discretion of Lucas Oil School of Racing.

Q: What do I have to do to participate in Advanced 2-Day?

Prior to participating in their first Advanced Lapping program, drivers must successfully complete a Basic 2-Day program. We also welcome drivers who have completed other accredited basic racing school programs, or who hold a current SCCA Novice or Full competition License, a NASA Competition License, or similar accredited racing license, or who have documented racing or race car testing experience. Please inquire.

Q: What do I have to do to participate the Lucas Oil Formula Car Race Series?

Prior to participating in their first Race Series event, drivers must complete at least one (1) Advanced 2-Day program. We also accept previous experience from other racing school programs and recognize most competition licenses. Drivers must have completed their most recent qualifying activity within five (5) years of entering their first Race Event. Please contact us to determine your eligibility.

These requirements are general guidelines Any exceptions to these requirements is at the sole discretion of Lucas Oil School of Racing.

About The Programs

Q: What tracks do you operate?

We bring our fleet of race cars to road-course tracks all over the country.  Please refer to our Basic and Advanced school pages for currently scheduled locations and dates.

Q: What is included in the “arrive and drive” format?

We will provide you with a suit and helmet to use during your program, and of course the Ray Formula Cars GR-RSC race car you will drive during your program. 

Q: What is the top speed?

Top speed will vary from track to track depending on how long straights are, but our race cars are capable of speeds in excess of 130 MPH.

Q: Do I need to know how to operate a manual transmission?

No. With the Pro-Shifter paddle shifter technology you only need to learn how to operate the clutch to get the car moving and to stop. From there it is a simple matter of pulling the steering wheel-mounted paddles to change gears; the left paddle for downshifting, the right paddle for upshifting.

Q: What do I need to bring?

Racing shoes and racing gloves are recommended. If you have your own suit and helmet, you can bring them as well, as long as they meet applicable current car racing safety (Snell, SFI, FIA, etc.) standards.

Q: Is food and lodging included?

We will provide a continental breakfast as well as refreshments throughout each day.  Lunch is available for purchase for you and your guest(s).  Lodging, transportation are at your expense.

Q: How much time will I drive each day?

It will vary somewhat for each program, but in our Basic 2-Day and Advanced Lapping programs you will drive a total of 2.5 hours each day.

Damage Liability

Q: Am I liable for crash damage?

Yes. Drivers participating in Lucas Oil School of Racing programs are responsible for any damage that occurs  what operating one of our race cars; up to $3,000.00 for the first incident in a Basic 2-Day program. $6,000 for the first incident in Advanced Lapping and the Lucas Oil Formula Car Race Series.

More information about our crash damage liability policy can be found on our Terms & Conditions page.

Q: Do you make crash damage insurance available for sale?

No. There is no additional cost for our limited damage liability program.

Scheduling Policies

Q: What happens if I need to reschedule or cancel?

Life happens. Work happens. We’ll work with you to reschedule you for another date. And if you need to cancel fourteen (14) days prior to the start of your scheduled program, we will issue you a full refund. Please visit our Terms & Conditions page for more details.

Q: What happens if Lucas Oil School of Racing cancels a program?

There may be situations where we must cancel a program. If Lucas Oil School of Racing cancels a program, we will reschedule you to another program or issue you a full refund.

SCCA Licensing

Q: How do I earn my SCCA FULL Competition License?

The first step is to successfully complete a Basic 2-Day program. Once you complete your Basic 2-Day and our Advanced 2-Day courses, with approval by our Chief Instructor just send us an email requesting your SCCA Letter of Compliance, and please include your address of choice, since we will need to include it on the Letter, which we will email to you. There is no fee for the Letter of Compliance.

Next, if you haven’t done so already, join the SCCA. Then, once you receive your Letter, have a physical, and your physician completes your SCCA Examination and Medical History form, you submit these documents, along with your application and any applicable fees, to SCCA, which will issue you your license.

Please visit the SCCA website for more information on this process.

Have a question we didn’t cover here or elsewhere on the website, email it to us and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can. Maybe we’ll add it to the FAQs.